There is an ongoing collaborative current project being conducted at the SSIP known as the Community Empowerment and Transformation Project – Phase II (COMET II), funded by the United States Agency International Development (USAID). This grant seeks to strengthen the services of the SSIP for children attending target schools and/or residing in any of the COMET II communities.
The Communities targeted in four parishes under the project are as follows:
|Kingston||St. Andrew||St. Catherine||Clarendon|
|Rockfort||Stony Hill||Gregory Park||Four Paths|
|Bay Shore||Bull Bay/ Seven Miles||Linstead||Brixton Hill|
|Rae Town||Hannah Town||Bog Walk||Osbourne|
|Trench Town||Kintyre||Old Harbour||Chapleton|
|Spring Field||Gordon Town||Kitson Town||Race Course|
The objectives of the project are to:
- Build awareness and respect for the rule of law and social order
- Activate responsiveness of at-risk young persons in reducing their vulnerabilities
- Build positive relationships with suspended students and the school community and Police
- Encourage and promote social improvement
There are a handful of important project conducted under this initiative. These include:
- Sensitization workshops for Deans of Discipline, Guidance Counsellors, School Resource Officers and other school-based and regulatory officials on Youth Alternative Dispute Resolution.
- Regular 5-day school suspension intervention programme based on designed curriculum.
- Monthly networking rap sessions and discussions for child/parent and child/school-based professionals’ interaction, quarterly visits from police and other professionals.